The History of Famous Mineral Water Co.
It all began over a century ago when a druggist from Waco, Texas Ed Dismuke
at the age of 40 was given a death sentence from his doctors. Being the
state-of-the-art apothecary, he refused to believe this and began a search for a
He headed northwest about 100 miles to an acclaimed health resort town tucked
away in the beautiful Palo Pinto Mountains. In the town of Mineral Wells,
the pharmacist went on a drinking binge of mineral water and his ailments
disappeared. He quickly sold his 25 year old pharmacy in Waco and
moved lock, stock and ambition to Mineral Wells.
It was in 1904 that Ed Dismuke founded the Famous Mineral Water Company
establishing himself as one of the town’s premier purveyors of the health-giving
elixir. The Famous Pavilion was built in 1914, complete with a game parlor
and a fortune telling booth.
Dismuke’s timing was perfect. Mineral Wells already had a worldwide
reputation for its “Crazy Water” after curing a woman suffering from a nervous
condition drank from a mineral well in the late 1800’s. Health seekers
from all over the globe flooded to this tiny mountain community by the thousands
every year. Mineral Wells, from the 1900’s to the 1950’s, was known to be
the premier Spa Resort Town in Southern United States. People came to
drink and bathe in the healing mineral waters.
The legacy of making mineral water products and serving it up by the glass
continued when his wife Ida Mae Dismuke sold the Famous Mineral Water Co. to
J.C. Causey in 1958. The daughter of J.C. Causey now lives in Canton,
Texas and gives testimony to the healthful relief the people who flocked to the
Mineral Wells drinking the “Famous” waters received.
Mr. Causey sold the company to Doyle Gill in 1979 and he operated it until
1981 when he sold it Freddie and Sis Newsome. The Newsome family
distributed the waters for 4 years and then they sold the Famous Mineral Water
Co. to A.D. and Susan Stone. In August of 1985, the Stone family donated
the Famous Mineral Water Co. to the Palo Pinto Historical Foundation.
On April 29, 1988, H.F. and Charles Hickey extensively restored and renovated
the Famous Mineral Water Pavilion. The Hickey family successfully operated the
company for approximately five years under lease from the Foundation.
On April 15, 1994, the Famous Mineral Water Company was leased from the Palo
Pinto Historical Foundation by Zephyr Water Company and operated by Sherry
The Historical Foundation sold the Property to the present owners, Bill and
Helen Arneson and Carol and Scott Elder on October 1, 1999.
Now celebrating over 100 years of service to the area, loyal patrons continue
to purchase bottles of the original mineral, deep well mineral, and reverse
osmosis waters. Some customers bring their own containers and have them filled
inside the original Famous Pavilion.
The Famous Mineral Water Company is the sole remaining namesake of Mineral